This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn on qualifying purchases. Please see our disclosure for more information.
Loaded with nutrients, pinto beans are the most popular dried bean in the US. And why wouldn’t they be? Simple to prepare with an earthy, almost nutty flavor, they are part of many delicious dishes. You can’t go wrong with adding these pinto bean recipes to your menu plan!
When I was a child, my mom cooked a big batch of pinto beans almost every Friday. We’d enjoy the beans with cornbread on Friday night, then continue eating them through the weekend. On Sunday evening, the remaining beans were used to make a pot of chili. Yum!
I often follow in her footsteps, making my own pot of beans and stretching it into several meals. Be sure to check out my book Stretchy Beans for more on this concept of cooking once and eating several times. Not only pinto beans work for this, but just about any bean or legume.
Even though I cook with many different varieties of beans and legumes, pinto beans remain my favorite (followed closely by lentils). Their versatility, as evidenced by the pinto bean recipes, combined with their amazing nutritional profile, make them a must-have for any budget-wise kitchen.
How to Cook Pinto Beans
Dry pinto beans are so simple to make! Just sort, soak, and cook with your favorite method. Get step-by-step directions here for cooking beans in the instant pot, slow cooker, on the stovetop, or by using several alternative/electricity-free methods.
20 Pinto Bean Recipes You Have to Try
Pinto Bean Soups and Salads
- Sweet Potato Chili
- Pinto Bean Chili
- Pumpkin Chili
- Creamy Chicken Chili
- Taco Soup
- Chicken and Pinto Bean Soup with Lime
- Taco Salad
- Pinto Bean Avocado Salad
- Pinto Bean Tuna Salad
Pinto Bean Side Dishes
Pinto Bean Main Dishes
- Navajo Tacos with Sourdough Fry Bread
- Skillet Dishes
- Super Flexible Stuffed Burritos
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Instant Pot Pinto Beans with Chorizo
- Layered Mexican Casserole
- Green Chili and Pinto Bean Casserole
Want to Become a Pro at Cooking Delicious, Affordable Bean Recipes?
Stretchy Beans is the solution you’ve been looking for! Learn how to easily prepare dinners that the whole family will love—while staying on budget, spending less time in the kitchen, and not losing your sanity.
Inside Stretchy Beans: Nutritious, Economical Meals the Easy Way, you’ll discover:
- How to cook healthy, affordable beans with amazing flavors
- How to make one pot of beans each week and turn it into 3+ delicious meals the whole family loves—without feeling like you’re eating the same thing every night
- How to spend less time in the kitchen, while still getting dinner on the table every night
- Weekly Stretchy Beans meal plans that you can adapt to fit your family
- And much, much more!
More Real Food Recipes
- 30 Healthy Soup Recipes (Made with Real Food Ingredients)
- Delicious & Healthy Black Bean Recipes
- How to Cook Dry Beans – 6 Different Ways
- 31 Homemade Chili Recipes
- Design a Dish – learn how to make easy, nutritious homemade meals
- Stock the Real Food Pantry
- Traditional Cooking Cupboard – 14 FREE eBooks & FREE Video Series
- 11 Real Food Snacks Kids Can Make Themselves in Minutes
- How to Start a Sourdough Starter