This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn on qualifying purchases. Please see our disclaimer for more information.
Wondering how to cook garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas)? In this article, I share how to cook garbanzo beans the easy way, plus several of my family-favorite recipes.
This article was originally published in April 2011.
Garbanzo beans or chickpeas are part of my 13-Week Rotating Menu Plan and is are our Stretchy Beans for week 1. Garbanzo beans were not something I grew up eating—other than occasionally on a salad, “fresh” out of a can.
When I started cooking with them several years ago, we discovered they were quite the tasty little bean. And they’re very different when prepared from the dry state compared to opening a can. Preparing garbanzo beans from the dry state is quite simple, only requiring a little bit of planning ahead.
How to Cook Garbanzo Beans
This is how to cook garbanzo beans in the crockpot, but you can also cook them on the stovetop, in the Instant Pot, or with alternative cooking methods. Here are instructions for six different ways to cook beans.
For ease of cooking and digestion, we soak and/or sprout our beans. My goal is to make one pot of garbanzo beans and then reinvent that pot into three meals to enjoy during the week.
Start with 5 cups of picked-over beans (to remove any stones or debris) and rinse thoroughly.
In the crockpot, soak the beans in plain water the night before you want to cook them (or up to 24 hours, changing the water at least one time).
The next morning, drain the soaking water off and put the beans back in the crockpot, then cover with homemade broth, water, or a mixture of both.
Cook on low for 5 to 8 hours. Larger beans take longer than smaller beans. When they’re thoroughly cooked, lightly season the entire pot with salt, pepper, and garlic.
Take out enough beans for supper, then divide the remaining beans into two or three other portions, depending on your menu plan for the week.
I haven’t added any seasonings at this point, preferring to season each dish when I make them.
Garbanzo Bean Recipes
- Spinach with Garbanzo Beans
- Chickpea Tacos
- Garbanzo Beans and Sprouted Wheat
- Cumin Lime Chickpeas
- Baked Rice and Garbanzo Beans
- Lacto-Fermented Hummus
- Garbanzo Bean Curry
- Beef and Tomato Rice Bowl
- Chickpea Salad
- Easy Homemade Falafel
More Bean Recipes
- Delicious & Healthy Black Bean Recipes
- 20 Lentil Recipes Your Whole Family Will Love
- Cooking Black Beans and My Favorite Meals
- 31 Healthy Homemade Chili Recipes
- 5 Yummy Ways to Use Sprouted Beans
Useful Tools for Cooking Beans
- Instant Pot Duo Plus 6-Quart 9-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker
- Lodge Cast Iron Enameled Dutch Oven
- 35-Piece Glass Storage Containers
- Crockpot 7-Quart Slow Cooker
- 12-Cup Food Processor and Vegetable Chopper
- 9-Tray Food Dehydrator
Want More Ways to Cook Beans?
Stretchy Beans: Nutritious & Economical Meals the Easy Way
Do you struggle with feeding your family delicious, healthy meals? Are you tired of trying to figure out what’s for dinner each night? Do you cringe when you see how much money your family spends on groceries each month?
If so, Stretchy Beans is the solution you’ve been looking for! Learn how to easily prepare dinners that the whole family will love—while staying on budget, spending less time in the kitchen, and not losing your sanity.
Inside Stretchy Beans: Nutritious, Economical Meals the Easy Way, you’ll discover:
- How to cook healthy, affordable beans with amazing flavors
- How to make one pot of beans each week and turn it into 3+ delicious meals the whole family loves—without feeling like you’re eating the same thing every night
- Weekly Stretchy Beans meal plans that you can adapt to fit your family
- How to spend less time in the kitchen, while still getting dinner on the table every night
- And much, much more!
Stretchy Beans: Nutritious, Economical Meals the Easy Way is packed full of affordable, easy-to-follow, healthy recipes for the whole family. If you’re looking for a way to feed your family a delicious, real food diet, then this book is for you.
Click here to buy Stretchy Beans today, and learn how to change the way you cook dinners—for good!