This post may contain affiliate links. See full disclosure here.
I’m going to let you in on a secret. I’m a huge fan of beans of all sorts. Oh! You already knew that? I guess it’s not much of a secret since the bulk of the recipes on this blog are bean related, and I even have a book all about beans. Okay, so it’s no secret I love beans. Especially black beans. Soft, creamy, and mild, they are the perfect vehicle for a variety of spices. Full of vitamins and fiber, they provide a wonderful, wholesome, filling meal. There are endless possibilities for healthy black bean recipes.
My early experiences with black beans were almost thirty years ago when I dabbled with being a vegetarian. An experienced vegetarian friend introduced me to black beans. The dabbling only lasted a few weeks, but black beans have remained a part of my diet since then.
While black beans from a can are an easy choice, I prefer to cook mine from scratch. Soaking the beans for maximum digestibility, then slow cooking to bring out all of their creamy goodness, results in a flavor not duplicated in any tin container.
It takes a little extra time, but it so worth it! Leftovers can be stashed in the freezer for quick beans anytime. While I do still keep a few cans in my pantry for those days I fail to plan ahead, fresh-cooked black beans are definitely the best.
How to Cook Dry Black Beans
Are you overwhelmed with the idea of cooking beans from scratch? Check out my article How to Cook Dry Beans – 6 Different Ways for step-by-step instructions to eliminate the confusion. It’s a lot easier than you think!
Delicious & Healthy Black Bean Recipes
While I am sharing links to recipes here, I should tell you that many times I don’t use a recipe when putting our meals together. I create the dishes while standing at the stove. I do have several basic formulas that I use for common dishes, which I share in my eBook Design a Dish. I find that formula cooking is one of the best ways to make the most of our food budget. Use these healthy black bean recipes as a guide or starting point, then make them your own!
- Easy Black Beans with Yellow Rice
- Black Bean Rice Bowls
- Stuffed Burritos
- Weeknight Black Bean Chili
- Taco Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Jerk Chicken with Pineapple Black Bean Salsa
- Creamy Black Bean Soup
- Roasted Garlic Potato & Black Bean Tacos
- Cuban Black Beans & Rice
- Sweet Potato Chili
- Chicken Black Bean Casserole
- Creamy Black Bean Taquitos
- Chicken & Black Bean Enchiladas
- Black Bean Burgers
- Roasted Sweet Potato, Black Bean & Lime Rice Bowls
- Black Bean Hummus
- Black Bean Brownies
- Healthy Skillet Dishes (a great way to use up leftover beans, meat, grains, and veggies)
Want More Delicious Bean Recipes?
Do you struggle with feeding your family delicious, healthy meals? Are you tired of trying to figure out what’s for dinner each night? Do you cringe when you see how much money your family spends on groceries each month?
If so, Stretchy Beans is the solution you’ve been looking for! Inside Stretchy Beans: Nutritious, Economical Meals the Easy Way, you’ll discover:
- How to cook healthy, affordable beans with amazing flavors
- How to make one pot of beans each week and turn it into 3+ delicious meals the whole family loves—without feeling like you’re eating the same thing every night
- How to spend less time in the kitchen, while still getting dinner on the table every night
- Weekly Stretchy Beans meal plans that you can adapt to fit your family
- And much, much more!