Purple Chicken Stir-Fry
This recipe is a great way to stretch a pastured or organic chicken allowing you to stretch your food dollars.
- healthy cooking fat such as butter, chicken fat, coconut oil, or ghee
- ½ onion cut in thin slices
- beet stems from a ‘bunch’ of beets, cut in thin slices
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into thin coins
- broccoli stems peeled and cut into thin coins
- ½ red pepper cut into strips
- beet greens cut into bite sized pieces, or other cooking green
- broccoli flowerets cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 cups chicken broth *
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice juice from 1 lemon
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked chicken cut in bite sized pieces
- 1 cup peanuts
- sea salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
Cook onions in fat for about 5 minutes over medium heat until they begin to soften.
Add beet stems, carrots and broccoli stem.
Allow to cook an additional 5 minutes.
Add red pepper, beet greens, and broccoli flowerets along with a little extra fat if needed.
Let cook for a minute or two and then add broth, lemon juice, ginger, garlic and salt.
Turn up heat and bring to a boil.
Add chicken and peanuts and allow to cook for a minute or two to warm chicken.
Taste and adjust final seasonings.
Serve over brown rice, cauliflower rice, or spaghetti squash.