Sweet Potato Chili
Are you looking for a great chili recipe? This Sweet Potato Chili is easy, healthy, delicious, and is sure to be a crowdpleaser!
- 1 tablespoon healthy fat (such as tallow, lard, or coconut oil)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (or use 2 green peppers)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or 4 cloves fresh garlic, pressed)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you like it spicy)
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 small (15 ounce) cans or 1 large (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups cooked beans (black, kidney, pinto, or a variety)
- 2 cups broth, water, or a combination of the two
- Toppers such as sour cream, grated cheese, thinly sliced green onions and/or chopped cilantro
In a stockpot over medium heat, warm the fat until shimmering. Add the veggies and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook and stir until the onions are translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Reduce the heat to low. Add all of the spices, giving it a stir to incorporate with the vegetables. Increase heat to medium, then stir in the tomatoes, beans, and broth. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.
Maintain the gentle simmer for about 45 minutes to 1 hour until the sweet potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.